Saturday, April 11, 2009

Basic Pistol.

Today I took the first half of the NRA Basic Pistol class. I was worried at first that it wouldn't be right for me because I've already shot a bit--the class started out with the basic basic basics of "this part is the trigger" and I was skeptical. Then they got us out on the range and holy crap did I get my money's worth. They had four instructors for nine students and kept us shooting for hours and with heaps of extremely patient and observant teaching I was doing better at 25 yards than I was at 30 feet before. Not only was my performance massively improved, but so was my understanding of what I was doing, so I know what I need to practice in the future.

(I'd post a triumphant target scan, but I put so many rounds through each while trying so many different things that they're complete Swiss cheese. Still, it's rapidly progressing and deeply satisfying Swiss cheese, trust me.)

And that's just the first half! There's an entire day left to go! I'm very happy with this class.

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're improving your shooting. Are you going to get a carry permit as part of this class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter - Nope, Washington permits are issued pretty much just for the asking, but unfortunately as I just changed my legal residence I can't do the asking for a few weeks until I actually live where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! May the second day go as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruno - Not physically, but I was using my parents' address and now I'm using my actual address in a different city, and since the CPL is issued by the city, I need my driver's license to match where I actually get my mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd taken that class instead of the one I actually took

    ReplyDelete